600 to 625 degree oven
- 1 1/2 cups mixed olives, pitted or not, in brine
- 1 tablespoon chopped lemon thyme
- 2 teaspoons orange zest from about 1 orange
- 3 tablespoons fresh orange juice
- 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1 teaspoon toasted fennel seeds
- 2 tablespoons plus 1 teaspoon olive oil, divided
- 16 ounces French sheep’s milk feta, cut into 1 inch cubes
- Crostini to serve
Drain the olives and place in a small bowl. Add the thyme, zest, juice, pepper flakes, fennel seed, and 2 tablespoons of the olive oil. Set aside. This can be made several hours in advance and held at room temperature.
Oil a 10 inch oven proof skillet with the remaining teaspoon of oil. Add the feta and pour the olives and seasonings over the top.
Place in the oven and cook for about 8 minutes. Rotate the pan half way through cooking time. The olive mixture should be bubbling and the cheese warm and soft. The feta cheese will hold its shape and become “spreadable”.