Serves 8-12 as appetizer
Roasting Oven Environment
- 1 Sugar Sweet pumpkin, about 5 pounds
- 1 clove garlic, cut in half
- 9 slices French bread, about 5”x4”, 1/4 inch thick,
- 1 1/2 teaspoons kosher salt, divided
- 2 cups heavy whipping cream
- 2 tablespoons vermouth
- 1/2 teaspoon coarse ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons chopped chives, or herbs of choice
- 2 cups grated Provolone cheese, grated, about 6 ounces
- 2 cups grated Dry Jack cheese, grated, about 6 ounces
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
Place slices of bread on a sheet pan into to the oven and toast for 2 minutes or until lightly browned. Rub each slice with the cut side of the garlic, discard garlic. Allow bread to cool.
Using a small knife, remove the top of the pumpkin by cutting a 3” diameter circle around the stem. Remove all the seeds and loose fiber from the inside of the pumpkin and top with a spoon. Season the inside of the pumpkin with 1/2 teaspoon of the salt.
Mix the remaining 1 teaspoon of salt, cream, vermouth, pepper, chives (if using) and pepper in a small bowl.
Place three pieces of bread in the bottom of the pumpkin, sprinkle with 1/3 of the cheese and 1/3 of the cream mixture. Repeat two more times. It may be necessary to press down on the filling and tuck into the curved sides of the pumpkin so to accommodate all of the filling.
Using a pastry brush, oil the pumpkin and a 10×10 ceramic dish. Place the pumpkin in the dish and tent with a piece of foil.
Place in the oven and roast for approximately 1 1/4 hours or until the filling is melted and the pumpkin is browned. Rotate the pan a quarter turn every 15 minutes or so.
Gently remove the top and stir the filling to incorporate. Serve with crisp apple slices or lightly toasted baguettes.