Roasting Oven Environment
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh rosemary
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh sage
- 1/4 cup finely chopped garlic
- 1/4 cup salt
- Zest from 2 lemons
- 1 tablespoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 (25–30-pound) whole pig
- 1/2 cup Tuscan Porchetta Spice (see below)
- 1 boneless pork loin, about 4–5 pounds
- 1/2 cup water
Tuscan Porchetta Spice
- Combine all ingredients and use as directed.
- 1/2 cup ground coriander
- 1 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon white pepper
Combine the rosemary, sage, garlic, salt, lemon zest, and pepper, and mix well; set aside. Debone the pig, starting with the rib cage and working all the way down to the hind legs. Be very careful not to puncture the skin. Lay open the pig and rub the herb-salt mixture, followed by the Tuscan Porchetta Spice over the entire inside surface. Set the boneless loin into the middle of the pig cavity and wrap the pig skin around the loin. Tie securely at 3-inch intervals with butchers twine. (This may be completed one day in advance and meat kept in the refrigerator.) Using aluminum foil, wrap the pig’s head, tail, and feet (to prevent burning) and tent the body. Set in a large roasting pan with ½ cup water.
Check at 30-minute intervals to baste, record internal temperature, and rotate pan in relation to fire. Total cooking time will be about 3–3 ½ hours, or until internal temperature is 138 degrees F. Remove and let rest 30 minutes before slicing.