Roasting Environment or Bake Environment
- 2 cups whole milk
- 2 Tablespoons unsalted butter
- 3 Tablespoons unbleached All Purpose flour
- ½ teaspoon salt
- Freshly grated nutmeg
- 3 ounces fontina cheese, cubed (about ½ cup)
- 2 ounces asiago cheese, cubed (about ½ cup)
- 3 ounces gorgonzola dolce cheese (about ½ cup)
- Freshly grated black pepper
- 1 pound short pasta (Penne, Rigatoni, etc.)
- 1 cup freshly grated Parmigiano Reggiano
Melt the butter in a small saucepan. Add the flour and whisk to combine. Continue to cook and whisk for two more minutes. Do not brown. Slowly whisk in the milk and cook stirring often until the mixture comes to a boil. Reduce the heat and cook for 3 or 4 more minutes. Season with the salt and nutmeg and set aside and keep warm.
Cook pasta until al dente, drain and place in a large mixing bowl. Add cheeses (except for Parmigiano), béchamel and grated pepper to the pasta. Mix well to combine. Transfer to a baking dish, sprinkle with Parmigiano and bake until heated through and lightly browned on top. Tent with foil if necessary.