Roasting Oven Environment
- 2 pounds tomatillos, husked and cut in half (quarters if large)
- 1 large poblano or pasilla chili, cut in half lengthwise seeds removed
- 1 to 2 jalapeños cut in half lengthwise, seeds removed
- 1 medium white onion peeled and cut into eights
- 4 cloves garlic, peeled and left whole
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 teaspoon kosher salt, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper.
- 6 half breasts of chicken, about 4 pounds, boneless, skinless, cut into half
- Diced red onion
- Lime wedges
- Cotija cheese, crumbled
High roast for vegetables, roast environment for chicken
Place the vegetables on a half sheet pan, drizzle with the olive oil and 1 teaspoon of the salt, toss to coat.
Place into the oven and roast for 18 to 20 minutes or until the vegetables are softened and charred.
Add the vegetables and any juices into the work bowl of a food processor and pulse to combine.
Season the chicken with the remaining 1 teaspoon of salt and pepper and add to a pan large enough to hold the chicken in a single layer.
Pour the sauce over the chicken cover with foil and place into the oven. Cook for 40 to 45 minutes or until the chicken is tender and the internal temperature of the breast is at least 155 degrees. Uncover and cook for 10 more minutes to reduce the sauce.
Taste for seasoning, adding more salt and pepper if needed. Serve, passing garnishes separately.