Yields 10 large meatballs
Roasting Oven Environment
- 1 can San Marzano tomatoes, 14 ounces, crushed
- 1 tablespoons brined cured capers
- 1/4 cup kalamata olives, chopped
- pinch red pepper flakes
- 1 1/2 cup torn pieces of French bread
- 1/2 cup milk
- 4 ounces finely diced pancetta
- 1 1/2 cup onions, finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 egg
- 2 pounds ground chicken
- 1/4 cup chopped parsley
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
Place the tomatoes, capers, olives and pepper flakes in a sauce pan in the oven to heat.
In a large bowl combine the bread and milk and allow to soak for 10 minutes.
In a medium sauté pan combine the pancetta, onion, garlic and olive oil. Place into oven and sauté until the onions are softened and the pancetta has rendered it’s fat, about 10 minutes. Remove from oven and allow to cool.
With a wooden spoon break up the bread chunks. Add the egg, chicken, parsley, salt, pepper and cooled onion mixture. Form into ten 1/2 cup meatballs.
Pour the hot tomato mixture into the bottom of a casserole dish and place the meatballs on top. Cover the casserole with foil and place into oven.
Cook for 35 minutes and remove foil cover. Continue to cook for 5 more minutes until lightly browned and internal temperature reads 155 degrees.