Roasting Oven Environment
- 2 Tbsp. olive oil
- 3 lbs. chicken thighs
- 4 Tbsp. unsalted butter
- 4 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 2 large white onions, finely chopped
- 2 whole bay leaves
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- ½ teaspoon crushed saffron threads
- 2 cups chicken stock
- 1 cup pitted large green olives
- 1/3 cup dried Turkish apricots, roughly chopped
- 4 dried Turkish figs, roughly chopped
- 2 preserved lemons, quartered lengthwise
- ½ cup chopped cilantro
- 3 Tablespoons lemon juice
Season chicken with salt and pepper and set aside. Set pan into oven and heat for 5 minutes. Add oil and then chicken to heated pan. Cook for about 8- 10 minutes, turning once to brown on both sides. When completed remove chicken to a plate and set aside.
Add butter to hot pan, followed by garlic and onions and cook for about 10 minutes or until softened and lightly browned. Add bay leaves, cumin, paprika, cinnamon, ginger, and saffron, stir and cook for about 2 minutes. Return chicken to the pan along with stock, olives, apricots, figs and preserved lemon.
Cover and cook for 30-45 minutes or until chicken is very tender. Remove, stir in cilantro and lemon juice and serve.