- 1 cup olive oil
- Zest of 3 lemons
- 4 garlic cloves thinly sliced
- 1 teaspoon chopped capers
- 6 anchovy fillets, lightly chopped
- 1⁄2 cup chopped parsley
- 3 tablespoons grated Parmesan
- 3 heads romaine hearts, cut in half lengthwise
- Assorted sprouts like onion sprouts, alfalfa sprouts, pea shoot or radish sprouts
- Kosher salt to taste
- Fresh black pepper to taste
Bagna Cauda: Combine oil, lemon zest, garlic, capers, anchovy, parsley and Parmesan in a small saucepan and gently warm to the touch. Remove from heat and let sit in a warm place for at least 1 hour. Have the dressing ready before grilling lettuce.
Bring the oven to a high temperature, roasting environment (625-675°); place the romaine halves on a sheet pan or roasting tray and push into the oven close to the embers and fire. Roast for 2 minutes, remove the lettuce from the oven and spoon some of the Bagna Cauda over the roasted lettuces. Let them sit for 3 minutes and then transfer to plates, spoon the remainder of the Bagna Cauda over the plated lettuce and cover with the sprouts and top with salt and pepper to taste.