- 1/2 cup port
- 1 tablespoon orange juice
- 1 pear, Bosc, Anjou or other firm pear
- 1/4 teaspoon sugar
- 1 tablespoons roasting liquid
- 1 tablespoon sherry vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon orange zest
- 1/2 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/8 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 5 ounces assorted baby greens, washed and dried
- 1/2 cup blue cheese in large crumbles
- 1/4 chopped hazelnuts, toasted
- 1/4 cup pomegranate seeds (optional)
Add the port to a small saucepan, place on stovetop and carefully ignite. Allow the port to burn itself out, swirling the pan occasionally. Add the orange juice. Set aside.
Peel and half the pears. Using a small scoop remove the seeds. Place the pears in a small sauté pan cut side down. Sprinkle the sugar over the top and then pour over the port.
Place the pears in the oven and roast for 10-12 minutes, basting occasionally. Test the pears for doneness with the tip of a small paring knife. Do not over cook or the pear will fall apart. When cool enough to handle, cut each pear in half again and slice bottom half in 1/2 inch slices and lightly press down to fan out the pear.
Carefully remove 1 tablespoon of the roasting liquid and place in a small bowl. Add the vinegar, zest, and mustard, whisk to combine. Add the olive oil slowly, whisking to incorporate. Add the salt and pepper, taste.
To assemble salad, place the greens in a large bowl and toss with the dressing. Mound salad on 4 salad plates. Place one pear fan on the plate in the “5 o’clock” position. If there is leftover roasting liquid, lightly brush each pear with a little of it to give the pear a nice sheen. Sprinkle each salad with 1/4 of the nuts, cheese and pomegranate seeds if using. Serve immediately.