- 1 grapefruit, ruby red, segmented, juice reserved
- 1 avocado cut into 1 inch dice
- 1/2 cup thinly sliced red onion, about 1/4 of an onion
- 5 ounces baby spinach
- 2 tablespoons grapefruit juice
- 1 teaspoon shallot, minced
- 1 teaspoon honey
- 1/2 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/8 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
To remove the segments from the grapefruit, cut off each end. Place the grapefruit on end and with a sharp knife, cut the rind and pith off the grapefruit following the curve of the fruit. Hold the peeled grapefruit over a small bowl and cut out the segments from the membrane, set aside. When all the segments have been removed, squeeze the remaining membrane to remove all the juice. Reserve two tablespoons of the juice.
Place all of the dressing ingredients except for the oil and whisk to combine. Slowly whisk in the olive oil. Set aside.
Place the avocado, onions and spinach in a mixing bowl. Toss with the dressing. Mound the salad onto four plates, distributing the avocado and onion. Top each plate with a few of the grapefruit segments and serve.