Roasting Oven Environment
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 2 large shallots, chopped, about 1/4 cup
- 1 pound wild uncooked shrimp, peeled, deveined, tails left intact
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1/2 cup dry white wine
- 1/8 teaspoon dried crushed red peppers
- 2 generous pinches saffron threads
- 1 can, 14 1/2 ounce, San Marzano tomatoes, in juices, diced
- 1 large clove garlic, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon grated orange peel
- 1 tablespoon orange juice
- 1/3 cup whipping cream
- 1 teaspoon chopped tarragon
- 1 tablespoon chopped parsley
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
In a large sauté pan, add the oil and shallots and place into the oven. Cook for about 1-2 minutes or until the shallots are softened.
Add the shrimp and cook just until pink and beginning to curl, about 2 minutes. Remove the shrimp from the pan into a bowl using a slotted spoon.
Add the tomato paste to the skillet and stir for 30 seconds. Add the wine, red pepper, and saffron and cook for 2 minutes.
Add the tomato, garlic and orange peel and reduce to sauce consistency, stirring frequently, about 4 minutes.
Finish the sauce with the cream, orange juice, herbs, salt and pepper. Simmer for 2 minutes.
Remove sauté pan from the oven and return the shrimp and any accumulated juices. Cook for 30 more seconds, just to reheat the shrimp.