Roasting oven environment
- 1-6 lb. Lassen rainbow trout
- 1 fresh fennel bulb, very thinly sliced (preferable to use a mandolin)
- 1 large lemon, thinly sliced
- 1 handful fresh dill, left whole
- 1 handful fresh tarragon, left whole
- Salt and pepper
- Olive oil
- Kitchen string
Open cavity of fish and liberally salt and pepper. Layer the fennel and lemon slices the length of the cavity and top with the fresh herbs.
Close cavity and tie fish at intervals several inches apart to secure and prevent from opening during roasting. Rub olive oil on outside of fish and set into roasting pan. Tent with foil and set into oven. Roast, rotating pan a few times in relation to fire for about 30-35 minutes or until an internal thermometer registers 145 degrees F.