Roasting oven environment
- 1 full side of salmon, about 5 pounds, bones removed and skin on
- 3 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 2 teaspoons Aromatic Salt (see below)
- 1 lemon, cut into thin rounds, and then the rounds cut in half
- 2 cups fine sea salt
- 1 cup finely chopped fresh herbs (mixture of rosemary, sage, thyme, and parsley)
- 1 lemon for zesting
Place salmon on a cutting board and trim off the fatty belly portion and pull pin bones.Slice salmon into portions approximately 2–3 inches wide, down to the skin, but not through the skin. Place the fillet on a sheet pan that has been coated with 2 tablespoons oil. Tuck narrow tail end under and spread remaining oil on top of the fillet. Sprinkle with the Aromatic Salt and spread it evenly over fillet. Tuck 2 lemon slices into each cut and place in the oven. Roast for 18–20 minutes, rotating the pan every 6 minutes or so. An instant-read thermometer should read around 120oF. Let the salmon rest for 5 minutes before serving. To serve, use a fish spatula and scoop between the skin and the fish to remove from the sheet pan. The entire length of the skin should remain on the pan.
Put the salt-and-herb mixture onto sheet pan and toss together. Hold the lemon over salt mixture and zest. Toss again to combine well. Aromatic Salt can be used immediately or left out at room temperature to dry for 48 hours, then kept in the refrigerator for future use.