Roasting Oven Environment
- 1 ½ pounds medium shallots (or cipollini or pearl onions)
- 3 whole cloves
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 cup broth (chicken, veal, or beef)
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 1 teaspoon chopped parsley
Remove skins from shallots and leave whole. Place shallots in a saute pan with cloves and oil; toss to coat. Set uncovered in the wood burning oven and cook, stirring a few times, for about 5–6 minutes, or until lightly browned.
Add broth, cover, and cook until slightly tender, about 10–15 minutes.
Uncover; add sugar and vinegar. Stir and cook for 5–10 minutes more to thicken juices.
Remove, season with salt and pepper, add parsley, and serve.