- 2 cloves garlic, sliced
- 1/4 cup butter, unsalted
- 4 pounds red cabbage, cored and cut into 3/4 inch pieces
- 3 Jonathan Gold or Gala apples, cored and cut into 1/2 inch pieces
- 3/4 cup apple juice
- 1 1/2 teaspoon caraway seeds
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 cup apple cider vinegar
In a large high sided fry pan with lid, add the butter and place in oven for 2 minutes or until the butter is almost melted. Add the garlic and cook for 1 more minute, being careful not to burn.
Remove the pan from the oven and add everything except for the vinegar. Place the cover on the pan and return to the oven for 35 to 40 minutes, stirring occasionally.
When the cabbage is tender, add the vinegar, stir and cook for another 3 minutes without the lid.
Check for seasoning, serve.