Serves 8 as a side dish
Roasting Oven Environment
Use pancetta in this recipe if serving with a “smoky” ham. For a side dish with turkey, substitute bacon for the pancetta, or add a small ham hock when you add the water.
- 1/2 pound 1/4 inch thick sliced pancetta, diced
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 medium yellow onion, quartered and then thinly sliced
- 4 cups water
- 3 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon Kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 3 pounds green beans, trimmed and cut into 2 inch lengths.
Combine the pancetta and oil in a deep sided fry pan with a lid. Place uncovered in the oven and cook for 7 to 8 minutes or until the pancetta has begun to crisp.
Add the onion and continue to cook until the onion has softened about 5 or 6 minutes.
Remove the pan from the oven and carefully add the water, sugar, salt and pepper. Stir to combine. Add the green beans and cover. Return the pan to the oven.
Cook for one hour. Remove the lid and cook for another 10 minutes to allow the liquid to cook down. Beans will be very tender and there will still be around two cups of liquid.
Check for seasonings and serve.