Roasting Oven Environment
- 1 tablespoon coriander seeds
- 1 tablespoon fennel seeds
- 1 tablespoon cumin seeds
- 1 small dried red chili
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 2 teaspoon light brown sugar
- ¼ cup olive oil
- 3 # Vension shoulder cut into 2” pieces
- 1 white onion, finely chopped
- 2 cups canned tomatoes, coarsely chopped
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 stick cinnamon
- 2 – 3 cups chicken stock
Place coriander seeds, fennel seeds, dried chili and cumin seeds in sauté pan. Place in mouth of oven and toast until fragrant. Remove, let cool and then grind. Place in bowl and mix with salt and brown sugar. Toss meat with spice mixture, coating well.
Heat olive oil in large roasting pan and add venison. Stir to brown on all side about 6-8 minutes.
Add onion and tomato and cook for about 5 minutes stirring. Add bay leaf, cinnamon stick and stock to barely cover meat. Cover and let cook until tender, about 2-3 hours. Add more stock if needed, cooking until meat is fork tender.
Serve over couscous or rice.