Roasting Oven Environment
- ¼ cups extra-virgin olive oil, plus extra for drizzling
- 2 ounces Pancetta, diced
- 1 red onion peeled and finely chopped
- 2 carrots, peeled and chopped
- 1 parsnip peeled and diced
- Sprig fresh rosemary, leaves picked and chopped
- Small bunch fresh thyme, leaves picked
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 1 Pheasant boned and cut into ½ inch dice
- ½ lb. venison, cut into ½ inch dice
- ½ lb. antelope, cut into ½ inch dice
- 4 ounces liver, may use chicken liver (optional)
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1 cup white wine
- Salt and Pepper
- 2 cups chicken or vegetable stock (may need additional)
- 2 Tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1/3 cup freshly grated Pecorino, divided
- Zest of one orange, divided
- ½ cup chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
Place pan with olive oil onto oven floor and heat. Remove and add the pancetta, onion, carrots, parsnip, rosemary, thyme and bay leaves and cook gently for 10 minutes.
Stir in the meats (and liver if using) and the flour. Stir and cook for 1-2 minutes. Pour in the wine, a generous pinch of salt and pepper and stir. Let cook for 5 minutes.
Pour in the stock (there should be enough to just cover the meat). Bring to a gentle boil, cover with foil or a lid and cook for 1 ½ – 2 hours (check liquid level every ½ hour) or until the meat easily falls apart.
When finished cooking, remove the bay leaves from the sauce. Add butter, half the Pecorino, half the orange zest and stir well to combine. When ready to serve, pour ragu over pasta and sprinkle with remaining Pecorino, orange zest and parsley.