Should I get a wood burning or gas oven?
While we always recommend a wood burning oven when possible, it really depends on your personal preferences. Here are some highlights for each oven:
Wood Fired Ovens
The Italian wood burning pizza oven has withstood the test of time and emerged as the ideal cooking appliance for both great food and entertaining.
The high temperature and the ability to cook right next to a roaring fire transforms ordinary food into delicious meals. To cook like this, you need more than an appliance labeled “pizza oven”, you need proper cooking dynamics. With a Mugnaini oven your menu is unlimited!
We offer a gas option for all our ovens, however we recommend wood-fired if possible. A gas burner inside a pizza oven simply cannot put off as much heat as a wood fire. The real power of the oven comes from coal bed under your fire, reaching 1200 – 1400 degrees F. No gas burner ever reaches those temperatures nor can it mimic the live flame of wood. We have taught our wood burning technique to many homeowners and you’ll find it second nature in no time.
Should I choose an indoor or outdoor oven?
Either way you will need enough space; A 6′ square oven is an ideal size to satisfy the needs of any family and parties of any size.
- An outdoor oven provides a lovely and practical centerpiece for your outdoor dining area and does not require a chimney or venting that an indoor oven needs.
- Open hearth ovens are deeper and require more space. If installing indoors, a chimney and ventilation is necessary floor reinforcement may be needed as the ovens are quite heavy.
- Our portable Piccolo 60 is a great choice if you are not quite ready to make the commitment of an installed oven or if you are renting or leasing your home.
What are my installation options?
There are two basic ways to install a wood fired oven; using a masonry oven kit to build from scratch or one of our pre-built factory assembled models. Either method uses the same Valoriani modular oven on the inside so the end result is equally effective.
Masonry Oven Kits are built on your site using concrete blocks with a concrete and sand layer that creates the thermal mass under the floor for deep, even heat. These specifications can be modified with a variety of roof styles to compliment your homes architecture.
The Masonry Kits are a good choice for outdoor installations where there might be a lot of masonry construction already planned—retainer walls, counters, BBQ, patios, pool, etc., or if the exterior design includes heavy finish materials like natural stone.
Mugnaini Factory Pre-Assembled Ovens ship fully assembled and ready for chimney attachment and finish work. Available in 6 standard shapes, these ovens offer a contractor friendly solution that guarantees your oven will be properly assembled with the essential thermal mass to perform like a wood burning pizza oven should!
- Delivered as a fully assembled appliance it’s easier for the builder to bring in and limits the amount of construction.
- Ready to hookup to venting and normally involves just cladding.
- Peace of mind knowing the skilled technicians at Mugnaini built the oven, leaving your construction team to simply apply the desired decorative finish material.
- Or, the oven can come with finish materials applied at the Mugnaini production facility to your specifications.
- A pre-assembled oven is used for freestanding outdoor applications, or one that might be integrated into modular cabinets/counter units.
- You will require a forklift on the property to remove the oven from the truck and will therefore need a clear, flat approach to the installation location.
- If it’s going indoors, make sure there is an opening large enough to get the oven through to the inside.
- Don’t install at all. Mugnaini has wonderful new option, the Piccolo 60, which is on wheels and you can take with you should you move or take on weekend getaways!
What‘s the best oven if I will be using it regularly?
The Prima 100 and 120 are the two smallest commercial ovens, which Mugnaini offers in the residential line as well. Given the greater thermal mass and production efficiency, these ovens are perfect if you plan on heavy use, several times a week, plan for large scale entertaining, or wants to bake multiple loads of bread. These ovens will absorb and store more heat making the frequent usage more efficient.
The home client operating a Prima oven has the same advantage as the commercial users with residual carryover heat in the range of 400 degrees from day to day, perfect for baking bread the morning after a delicious dinner.
What’s the best oven if I will be using it occasionally?
Medios are the most popular home ovens as the balance of thermal mass is specific to the homeowner who is going to use the oven less frequent, such as once a week, twice a month, etc. The slightly lighter thermal mass is perfect for home use and allows the homeowner to bring the oven up to maximum temperature within the hour. This is an important feature as every time the majority of homeowners fire their oven it is from room temperature.
Piccolos are identical to the Medios just smaller in overall size. And the Piccolo 60 and Piccolo 75 is a portable oven complete with wheels.
- PICCOLO 80
- 31” X 35” cooking area
- PICCOLO 60
- 23 ½” cooking area
- PICCOLO 75
- 29 ½” cooking area
Do you have a portable oven that doesn’t require installation?
The Piccolo 60 and Piccolo 75 are on wheels so you can take your oven with you should you move or use on weekend getaways!
- PICCOLO 60
- 23 ½” cooking area
- PICCOLO 75
- 29 ½” cooking area
Can I use the oven for baking other food in addition to pizza?
You can cook a surprisingly wide variety of food in your Mugnaini oven, including:
- Pizza (of course)
- Fish, meats, vegetables
- Superior sautés and brazing
- Flameless roasting and baking
- High heat roasting
- Hearth baked breads
- Delicious desserts
In short, practically anything you can think of, you can cook in a Mugnaini! You’ll find dozens of tasty recipes from Apple Crostada to Huevos Rancheros to Roasted Zucchini here.
What kind of accessories do I need for my oven?
From cookware, oven tools to specialty foods, we have a variety of accessories to enrich your cooking experience. Check out Mugnaini Accessories here.
How long as Mugnaini been making ovens?
Mugnaini Wood Fired Ovens is America’s most experienced and complete wood fired oven company. We have dedicated ourselves to the Art of Wood Fired Cooking since 1989 when we partnered with Refrattari Valoriani, the inventor of modular pizza oven components. Mugnaini wood fired ovens are the industry standard for performance, practicality and longevity – a true evolutionary step in wood fired pizza ovens. As a company, we pride ourselves on our customer service as much as the quality of our ovens. Our experience with every facet of specifying, building and cooking with wood fired ovens guarantees you will be getting the best working oven for your project.
What is your customer service support?
At Mugnaini we look at the purchase as the beginning of a relationship not a transaction. We pride ourselves on providing clients with knowledgeable customer service and sales support. It’s the hallmark of our brand. This Sales Protocol document is a resource that will guide you as you walk customers through the buying experience. It is our unique quality product, the deep understanding of the installation process and instruction in the lifelong use of our ovens that sets us apart in the marketplace. When you have contact with potential or existing customers, you become the face of Mugnaini – a friendly, skillful extension of our brand; further validating us as leaders in the industry.
We are always available to answer your questions for as long as you own your Mugnaini oven.
What do I do if I have a problem with the oven?
Contact our customer service immediately and we will address the issue. We are here to support you for as long as you own your Mugnaini oven.
Are there oven tutorial videos I can watch to learn how to use the oven?
We have an extensive library of video tutorials and recipes. You can search for a particular topic here.
Do you offer cooking classes?
We are offering limited classes due to Covid-19. If you have questions, please feel free to contact us at 888-887-7206.
Our classes feature proper wood fired oven fundamentals essential to successful cooking and a complete meal cooked in the pizza oven. Class sizes are small in order to provide the expert advice and personal attention you need to learn how to get the most out of your oven.
- DEMONSTRATION CLASSES
- Learn all about wood-fired oven cooking in this three-hour class
- HANDS ON COOKING CLASSES
- Our four hour hands-on class includes lunch!
- CULINARY GETAWAYS
- Our immersive event is held at a luxurious farmhouse on our vineyard in Sonoma County.
- PRIVATE CLASSES
- Customized classes for families and groups